I started exploring development with SpriteKit. I found a perlin noise library on github and implemented a simple tile map using SKTileMap. I made it make some procedurally generated islands with trees. A few days later I discovered Apple’s GKNoiseMap, which can be configured using perlin noise or a few other types of noise.
I randomly scattered some characters in the game world, and start using the pathfinder utilities to plot courses around the level. Initially I had problems getting my characters to avoid the trees. After many trials with different configurations of trees, I concluded that maybe there are some bugs in the pathfinding if the level has too many paths.
I animated the characters using a chained sequence of SKActions that move and rotate. Next maybe I’ll add some on screen controls for player movement.
1 thought on “SpriteKit experiments”
Great Post. The information you provided is really wonderful. Keep up the good work.